GreenShorts | Make a film
An environmental film competition for Southern California high school students.
SoCal high school students: grab your cell phones, video cameras, and microphones—your voice and creativity can change the planet. This environmental short film contest is a platform to showcase your ideas, commentary, and vision for our city and the world. You may submit one short film for each category and films must feature the Southern California Area – creative liberty is encouraged.
2019 Season is now open!
Needs some film advice, we're here to help
To make sure the films are based in sound science, we have experts on hand to help. The same goes for production—you're the director, producer, writer and crew, but we are here to consult if you run into trouble. Send an email to Diana and she'll get you headed in the right direction.
Awards & Prizes
- Best Film: $750
- 2nd Place: $500
- 3rd place: $250
Rules & Terms
- Films should be no shorter than 2 minutes and no longer than 3 minutes
- Films may be created by an individual or a team
- Individuals or teams are limited to one film per category
- Participants must be enrolled in high school and under 19 years old
- Films must be submitted by the March 29, 2019 via the FilmFreeway submission site
- Finalists are required to attend the award ceremony on May 24, 2019. Date subject to change.
- Through film submission, UCLA IoES is granted the right to use the film for promotional, but not commercial, purposes
We are immensely grateful to the people and organizations whose support ensures the success of this project. The Skyscrape Foundation, along with Tina and John Quinn — your vision and generosity give young scientists and creatives across California a boost forward. Thank you. Apogee Electronics and iOgrapher, you put professional-quality gear in the hands of a rising generation, helping students who have strong ideas, but a shortage of resources. Thank you.