GreenShorts | Make a film
An environmental film competition for Southern California high school students.
Contestants showcase their ideas, commentary and vision for our cities and the world—in films of two minutes or less. Our 2017, 2018 season has come to a close, stay tuned for details on next year's competition.
From mentorships to gear, we're here to help
To make sure the films are based in sound science, we have experts on hand to help. The same goes for production—you're the director, producer, writer and crew, but we are here to consult if you run into trouble. Need gear? Each year we have a limited number of equipment packages. Send an email to Colin and he'll get you headed in the right direction.
Awards & Prizes
- Best Film: $750 and a tour of Paramount Studios
- 2nd Place: $500
- 3rd place: $250
Rules & Terms
- Films must be less than two minutes in length
- Films may be created by an individual or a team
- Individuals or teams are limited to one film per category
- Participants must be enrolled in high school and under 19 years old
- Films must be submitted by the predetermined due date (TBD) via the FilmFreeway submission site
- Finalists are required to attend the award ceremony
- Through film submission, UCLA IoES is granted the right to use the film for promotional, but not commercial, purposes
We are immensely grateful to the people and organizations whose support ensures the success of this project. The Skyscrape Foundation, along with Tina and John Quinn — your vision and generosity give young scientists and creatives across California a boost forward. Thank you. Apogee Electronics and iOgrapher, you put professional-quality gear in the hands of a rising generation, helping students who have strong ideas, but a shortage of resources. Thank you.