GreenShorts | Make a film
An environmental film competition for Southern California high school students.
Contestants showcase their ideas, commentary and vision for our cities and the world—in films of two minutes or less. To enter, submit a film in one of the five thematic categories below by March 28, 2018.
From mentorships to gear, we're here to help
To make sure the films are based in sound science, we have experts on hand to help. The same goes for production—you're the director, producer, writer and crew, but we are here to consult if you run into trouble. Need gear? Each year we have a limited number of equipment packages. Send an email to Colin and he'll get you headed in the right direction.
Awards & Prizes
- Best Film: $750 and a tour of Paramount Studios
- 2nd Place: $500
- 3rd place: $250
Rules & Terms
- Films must be less than two minutes in length
- Films may be created by an individual or a team
- Individuals or teams are limited to one film per category
- Participants must be enrolled in high school and under 19 years old
- Films must be submitted on March 28, 2018, via the FilmFreeway submission site
- Finalists are required to attend the award ceremony at Paramount Studios on May 9, 2018, 6 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Through film submission, UCLA IoES is granted the right to use the film for promotional, but not commercial, purposes
Dates to Remember
- March 28, 2018: films due
- May 9, 2018: awards ceremony, 6 p.m.-8:30 p.m. at Paramount Studios
There have been a few key people and organizations that have helped ensure the success of this project. The Skyscrape Foundation, as well as Tina and John Quinn, your vision and generosity have given young scientists and creatives across California a boost forward. Thank you. Apogee Electronics and iOgrapher, you put professional-quality gear in the hands of a rising generation. Students who had strong ideas, but a shortage of resources. Thank you.