D. Env in Environmental Science and Engineering
How to Apply
Environmental Science and Engineering D. Env Admission
Applications for fall 2019 admission will become available in September. The deadline for submitting an application for admission is December 15, 2018.
All applicants are required to have completed a master’s degree in some field of the sciences or engineering. Generalist master’s degrees in areas such as environmental sciences or public health or medical degrees may be accepted for admission if the applicant presents a record with appropriate courses in the sciences and engineering and other special qualifications such as research experience.
Applicants for the D.Env. degree must have an excellent scholastic record and must be acceptable to the admissions committee. Students must meet general requirements for admission to UCLA and have a 3.0 GPA on junior-senior work and a 3.5 GPA on graduate work leading to a Masters Degree. The overall academic record, including Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination scores (for students whose native language is not English), must reflect exceptional verbal and quantitative skills and drive toward academic achievement.
Admission to the Program has always been highly competitive. About 4-6 students are accepted each year. At any given time, there are about 10 students in residence at UCLA and about 20 conducting their dissertation internships at appropriate host institutions.
Applications to the D.Env in Environmental Science and Engineering must be submitted online via the general application form for admission to graduate study at UCLA.
In addition to the general application requirements specified on that form, applicants are requested to submit the following. The general application form provides instructions how to submit letters of recommendation, as well as instructions how to upload additional materials as files.
- Please scroll to the bottom of this page for more information regarding transcripts
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from a test completed within the past five years
- For applicants whose native language is not English, scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examinations.
- Three letters of recommendation, with letters from faculty members preferred
- Personal statement: For the personal statement, provide a narrative statement indicating how your professional goals can be met through the ESE Program. The program is also interested in special qualities, awards, and achievements not reflected in the student’s academic record.
Before being accepted unconditionally into the program, all students must have taken the following courses:
- Biology — one year of introductory biology with laboratory;
- Chemistry — one year of general chemistry with laboratory, including analytical methods, and one quarter of organic chemistry, no laboratory required;
- Mathematics — one year of calculus plus one course in elementary statistics;
- Physics — one year of introductory physics with laboratory.
Any of these courses may be taken after an admitted student has arrived at UCLA. One or more of these prerequisite requirements may be waived based on consideration of the applicant’s total record of science and engineering courses taken.
Submitting transcripts (international applicants please see section below):
The general application form provides space to upload unofficial transcripts from your prior university study. You do not need to send official transcripts during the application process.
If you are offered admission, one official transcript from all prior university study must be sent directly to the Institute’s address from the registrar of the academic institution you attended. UCLA graduates please note: you do not need to submit official copies of UCLA transcripts.
Attention: Harrison Levy
Institute of the Environment and Sustainability
La Kretz Hall, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1496
International applicant transcripts: International applicants must submit official transcripts during the application process (before January 5, 2018). Official academic records must show the dates of enrollment; the subjects or courses taken, together with the units of credit or time allotted to each subject and, if rank is determined, rank in the total class or group. The records must also include a complete description of the institution’s grading scale or other standard of evaluation. Maximum and minimum marks and the steps between them must be indicated.
Unless academic records and diplomas are routinely issued in English by the institution, the official records in their original language must be submitted with an authorized, complete, and exact English translation. Please see https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/required-academic-records/ for more information. Please send these documents to the address listed above.
The deadline for submitting an application for admission is December 15, 2018.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Harrison Levy at 310-825-9901 or firstname.lastname@example.org.