Minor in Environmental Systems and Society
Required Lower-Division Courses (minimum 8 units)
Completion of at least two of the following:
- ASTRO 3 – Astronomy: Nature of the Universe
- A&O SCI 1 – Climate and Climatic Change
- A&O SCI 2 – Air Pollution
- A&O SCI 3 – Introduction to Atmospheric Environment
- EPS SCI 1 – Introduction to Earth Science
- EPS SCI 15 – Introduction to Oceanography
- EPS SCI 16 – Major Events in History of Life
- EPS SCI 20 – Natural History of Southern California
- EE BIOL 10 – Plants and Civilization
- EE BIOL 13 – Evolution of Life
- EE BIOL 25 – Marine Biology
- ENVIRON M1A/B/CW – Global Environment: Multidisciplinary Perspective I, II and Special Topics
- ENVIRON 10 – Introduction to Environmental Science
- ENVIRON 12 – Sustainability and the Environment
- ENVIRON 25 – Good Food for Everyone: Health, Sustainability, and Culture
- ENVIRON M30 or M30SL – Introduction to Environmental Humanities (or Intro to Environmental Humanities/Service Learning)
- GEOG 1 – Physical Environment
- GEOG 2 – Biogeography: Spatial Dynamics of Biological Diversity in a Changing World
- GEOG 5 – People and the Earth’s Ecosystems
Required Upper-Division Courses (minimum 20 units):
Completion of at least five of the following:
- ENVIRON M111 – Earth and Its Environment
- ENVIRON 121 – Conservation of Biodiversity
- ENVIRON M125 – Environmentalism: Past, Present and Future
- ENVIRON M126 – Environmental Change
- ENVIRON M131 – Human Impact on Biophysical Environment
- ENVIRON M133 – Environmental Sociology
- ENVIRON 134 – Environmental Economics with Data Analysis
- ENVIRON 150 – Environmental Journalism, Science Communications, and New Media
- ENVIRON M153 – Introduction to Sustainable Architecture and Community Planning
- ENVIRON 157 – Energy, Environment and Development
- ENVIRON C159 – Life Cycle Assessment
- ENVIRON 160 – Topics in Environmental Economics and Policy
- ENVIRON M161 – Global Environment and World Politics
- ENVIRON 162 – Entrepreneurship and Finance for Environmental Scientists
- ENVIRON 163 – Business and Natural Environment
- ENVIRON M164 – Environmental Politics and Governance
- ENVIRON 166 – Leadership in Water Management
- ENVIRON M167 – Environmental Justice through Multiple Lenses
- ENVIRON 188A – Variable topics courses (4 unit)
- ENVIRON 185 Series (185A/B/B or 185A/C/C) – Education for Sustainable Living program fall, winter and spring series.
- In addition, ENVIRON 140 (Foundations of Environmental Policy and Regulation) and ENVIRON 175 (Programming with Big Environmental Datasets) are acceptable for the minor, but are restricted to Environmental Science majors until week 2 of second pass.
Please note that some course numbers have changed effective fall 2020. DARS should account for these changes automatically.
A minimum of 20 units applied toward the minor requirements must be in addition to units applied toward major or minor requirements in any other department or program, and at least 16 units applied toward the minor must be taken in residence at UCLA. Transfer or substitution of credit for any of the above is subject to Institute approval; consult an academic adviser at the Institute before enrolling in any off-list courses for the minor.
All minor courses must be taken for a letter grade, with an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better. Successful completion of the minor is indicated on the transcript and diploma.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Students pursuing the Environmental Science B.S. major with the Environmental Systems and Society minor/concentration must follow the up-to-date program plan.