Felicia Federico D.Env.
California Center for Sustainable Communities at UCLA
UCLA Institute of the Environment and Sustainability, 619 Charles E. Young Drive East, LaKretz Hall – Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Campus Mailcode: 149606
Dr. Federico is the Executive Director of the California Center for Sustainable Communities at UCLA. She is responsible for advancing all aspects of CCSC work, including research initiative conceptualization, proposal writing, interdisciplinary project management, and strategic partnership development. Current research projects include grants from the California Energy Commission, California Strategic Growth Council, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, and the County of Los Angeles (for the first Los Angeles County Sustainability Plan). She also collaborates with the UCLA Sustainable Los Angeles Grand Challenge and serves as lead technical author on the Sustainable LA Environmental Report Cards for Los Angeles County.
Dr. Federico’s experience includes work in the private sector (aerospace, petroleum) as well as consulting, prior to academia. Her interdisciplinary education combines expertise in engineering and environmental sciences with an understanding of the legal, policy, economic and social science elements critical to addressing complex environmental challenges.
Focus areas include: energy, water, climate change / sustainability planning, and environmental equity.
- University of California, Los Angeles: Doctorate, Environmental Science and Engineering
- University of California, Los Angeles: M.A., Geography
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y.: B.S., Mechanical Engineering
Selected Reports and Publications
- Porse, E., Fournier, E.D., Cheng, D., Hirashiki, C., Gustafson, H., Federico, F., Pincetl, S. Prioritizing the Locations of Urban Rooftop Solar Energy Resources. Energy Policy, In Review.
- Fournier, E.D., Federico, F., Porse, E., and Pincetl, S. Effects of Building Size Growth on Residential Energy Efficiency and Conservation in California. Applied Energy, Volume 240, 15 April 2019, Pages 446-452.
- Gold, M., Federico, F., Rauser, C.L., 2019 Sustainable LA Environmental Report Card for Los Angeles County: Water. In Preparation.
- Federico, F., Pincetl, S., Fournier, E.D., Porse, E., Chuang, Y., Delmas, M., Williams, R., Perkins, C., Costa, M., Diaz., D. 2018. Accelerating AEC Deployment around Existing Buildings in Disadvantaged Communities through Unprecedented Data Analysis and Comprehensive Community Engagement. California Energy Commission. Publication Number: CEC-500-2019-010.
- Federico, F., Rauser, C.L., Gold, M., 2017 Sustainable LA Environmental Report Card for Los Angeles County: Energy and Air Quality.
- Federico, F., Mazor, R., Lee, L., Ostermann-Kelm, S. 2019. Protocol implementation plan for monitoring stream condition in the Mediterranean Coast Inventory and Monitoring Network of Southern California. Natural Resource Report NPS/MEDN/NRR—2019/1875. National Park Service, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Willis, K.S., Ostermann-Kelm, S., Federico, F., Lee, L., MacDonald, G.M., Gillespie, T.W. 2018. Protocol for monitoring landscape dynamics in the Mediterranean Coast Network of southern California. Natural Resource Report NPS/MEDN/NRR—2018/1830. National Park Service, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Gold, M., Pincetl, S., and Federico, F., 2015. 2015 Environmental Report Card for Los Angeles County. http://www.environment.ucla.edu/reportcard/
- Federico, F., S. Ostermann-Kelm, C. Brigham, and P. Bunje. 2012. A collaborative science agenda on climate change for Southern California coastal national parks. Natural Resource Report NPS/MEDN/NRR—2012/583. National Park Service, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Stein, E.D., Federico, F., Booth, D.B., Bledsoe, B.P., Bowles, C., Rubin, Z., Kondolf, G.M., Sengupta, A., 2012. Hydromodification Assessment and Management in California. Southern California Coastal Water Research Project Technical Report 667, April 2012.