Frequently Asked Questions

Do I qualify? What are the basic requirements for admission?

Applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree. We expect that the most successful candidates will have strong grounding in one or more of the research or scholarly disciplines relevant to environment and sustainability challenges.

What are the GRE requirements?

Students who wish to apply for admission to our graduate program are not required to take the GRE or submit a GRE score report as part of their application package. However, students may voluntarily submit GRE test scores and they will be reviewed as part of the holistic application consideration. The applications with GRE scores will not be given greater weight than those that do not include scores.

How do I send in my GRE scores?

The best and fastest way to get your GRE scores to us is to submit them electronically using UCLA code 4837. You do not have to input a department code. If you are required to input a department code, you can use code 0502. However, simply inputting the UCLA code will allow us to see your scores.

How long does it take to graduate?

We expect that the program may take up to 5 years to complete, but this depends on your previous experience and coursework from other completed degree programs.

Do I need a faculty advisor?

To promote interdisciplinary as the core of the program’s identity, each student’s program of study and dissertation research will be guided by two advisors from distinct areas of research and scholarship. We encourage prospective students to identify potential areas of study and contact prospective advisors prior to applying

Do you accept international students to the program?

Yes. We typically admit at least one international student per year.

Can I waive the TOEFL requirement if I am an international student?

There are two way to you can waive TOEFL requirements. 1. You hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited university located in the United States or in another country in which English is both the primary spoken language of daily life (e.g., Australia, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, United Kingdom) and the medium of instruction. Or, 2. If you have completed at least two years of full-time study from such institutions.  Please see this site for more info:

What is the funding model for the program?

It is our expectation that all students making satisfactory progress in the program will be fully funded for the duration of their studies. We will help you secure this funding through a variety of sources including faculty research grants, fellowships, teaching assistantships or other sources. You should be actively looking for funding opportunities throughout the program.

Can I request an application fee waiver?

Information on fee waivers can be found here: Our department must abide by the policies set by UCLA, and no exceptions to policy are allowed beyond the information listed on the UCLA website.

How do I send in transcripts?

Domestic applicants: You do not need to physically send in your transcripts until you are officially admitted to the program. During the general application process, you will be asked to upload unofficial copies of your transcripts.

International applicants: you must submit official transcripts during the application process. Official academic records must show the dates of enrollment; the subjects or courses taken, together with the units of credit or time allotted to each subject and, if rank is determined, rank in the total class or group. The records must also include a complete description of the institution’s grading scale or other standard of evaluation. Maximum and minimum marks and the steps between them must be indicated.

Unless academic records and diplomas are routinely issued in English by the institution, the official records in their original language must be submitted with an authorized, complete, and exact English translation. Please see for more information.