B.S. in Environmental Science

How to Declare the Major

Instructions and resources for prospective Environmental Science students.

  1. Read all information pertaining to the Environmental Science major and its requirements under Academics on the IoES website.
  2. Sign up for the Environmental Science Piazza group
  3. To apply for the major and/or discuss requirements, please sign up for an appointment via the counseling Calendly link. DURING THE CURRENT CORONAVIRUS PRECAUTIONS ALL APPOINTMENTS WILL BE HELD REMOTELY. When you make the appointment via Calendly, also send me an email with your phone number so that I may call you at the appointed time. Email rdieckmann@ioes.ucla.edu. Counseling hours are generally Monday – Friday 10 am – 12 pm and 2 – 4 pm. Remember to bring your photo ID to the appointment.
  4. If you already have Junior or Senior standing, please complete and submit the Major Declaration Planner, which includes a degree plan where you outline how to fulfill all remaining requirements. Include current courses and those you still need to take.
  5. You should be as detailed as possible in outlining your course plan. However, you may not be able to determine which specific upper division classes you can take for each requirement in future quarters. “Minor UD” for an Upper Division class in your minor, or “Climate” for the Climate Science requirement is acceptable.
  6. A minimum of 20 units must be unique to your minor/concentration. Please note the course overlap on the petition form E.g.: “Policy+ Minor”.
  7. Include all other requirements for graduation including GE, Honors, other minors, pre-med etc. in your unit calculations.
  8. If you plan to take courses at a Community College after earning 105 quarter units, requirements may be met but units will not transfer in. Such classes should be listed as follows, e.g.: “Chem 14B (CC) – Units: 0”.
  9. Pay attention to units – while most upper division classes are 4 units, some (especially Ecology classes) may be 5 units.